We should all be wearing masks, China CDC director says
- The general director of the Chinse CDC said in an interview that the biggest mistake Europe and US are making when dealing with the novel coronavirus pandemic concerns masks. Everyone should be wearing masks in public, the official said.
- Masks, and other personal protective equipment required for treating COVID-19 patients, are in critical supply in the US and other countries dealing with local outbreaks.
- The US CDC has reiterated that nothing has changed when it comes to its masks advisory. Only those people showing COVID-19 symptoms should wear masks in public.
- Visit BGR’s homepage for more stories.
The novel coronavirus pandemic managed to catch the world by surprise despite what happened with China. Rather than increasing the production of critical personal protective equipment (PPE), disinfectants, testing kits, and ventilators, many western governments went for a wait-and-see approach. Things escalated quickly in Italy, which proved to everyone else how serious COVID-19 is, and other countries followed. News from various countries ravaged by the virus proved that many governments lacked the resources to put up a fight, with many of them scrambling to purchase or manufacture some of the critical products mentioned above. The situation is especially troubling in some hospitals, where doctors do not have enough PPE for use with COVID-19 patients. Some of them have even started reconsidering resuscitation procedures in critical COVID-19 cases that might require CPR because of the PPE costs associated with them. So, if doctors and nurses can’t spare equipment, it’s up to everyone else to help by not hoarding these products. And that can explain why the CDC currently advises people to only wear masks out in the open if they suspect they’re infected, to limit the spread of the virus. However, the director-general of China’s CDC says the contrary. According to him, it’s a “big mistake” not to wear masks in public.
Today's Top Deals
- 10 deals you don’t want to miss on Sunday: Secret Fire TV sale, Fitbit sale, UV phone sanitizer, Anker deals, more
- 10 deals you don’t want to miss on Saturday: Prime members only sale, Arlo Pro, $9 wireless charger, more
- These aren’t N95 face masks, but they’re better than nothing and they’re in stock now
Trending Right Now:
- Fascinating video shows exactly how the coronavirus kills you
- Shopping during the coronavirus crisis: Check this website for in-stock groceries near you
- The Astro Slide is a 5G PDA that runs Android 10 and Linux
We should all be wearing masks, China CDC director says originally appeared on BGR.com on Mon, 30 Mar 2020 at 07:41:57 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.