Leaked screenshots reveal what Apple’s new CarKey feature is going to look like
- A new iOS feature called CarKey will allow iPhone and Apple Watch owners to unlock and drive their cars by relying upon their devices as opposed to a physical key.
- Owners will be able to grant third-party individuals one-time keys that would enable them to unlock a car directly from their own device.
- Evidence of CarKey first surfaced in an iOS 13.4 beta, though Apple may wait to release the feature until it unveils iOS 14 later this year.
- Visit BGR’s homepage for more stories.
When Apple released the first iOS 13.4 beta in early February, one of the more notable additions was a brand new CarKey API that makes it possible for Apple Watch and iPhone owners to start, lock, and unlock their vehicles directly from their devices.
Even cooler is that the API will allow device owners to share access with friends and family members via one-time keys. Imagine, for instance, the ability to remotely give a friend of yours the ability to unlock and drive your car with their own iPhone or Apple Watch.
Today's Top Deals
- Last chance to get 9 exclusive deals only for Prime members
- These aren’t N95 face masks, but they’re better than nothing and they’re in stock now
- Today’s best deals: Hidden Fire TV Stick sale, Prime-exclusive deals, AirPods 2 all-time low, $9 wireless charger, more
Trending Right Now:
- Coronavirus news: Watch these spring breakers’ phone signals disperse across the US
- Doctors finally found an early warning sign of a coronavirus infection
- Don’t expect your coronavirus stimulus check from the Trump administration until May
Leaked screenshots reveal what Apple’s new CarKey feature is going to look like originally appeared on BGR.com on Fri, 27 Mar 2020 at 19:06:15 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.